Subject Title : Web Technology and its applications
Subject Code : 18CS63Contact Hours per Week : 3:2:0 Lecture Hours : 4 , Tutorials : 2 Hours
CIE Marks : 40 SEE Marks : 60
Total Number of Contact Hours : 50 Exam Hours : 03 CREDITS : 4
Course Learning Objectives: This course (18CS63) will enable students to:
• Illustrate the Semantic Structure of HTML and CSS
• Compose forms and tables using HTML and CSS
• Infer Object Oriented Programming capabilities of PHP
Module 1: Contact Hours (10):
Introduction to HTML, What is HTML and Where did it come from?, HTML Syntax, Semantic Markup, Structure of HTML Documents, Quick Tour of HTML Elements, HTML5 Semantic Structure Elements, Introduction to CSS, What is CSS, CSS Syntax, Location of Styles, Selectors, The Cascade: How Styles Interact, The Box Model, CSS Text Styling.
Textbook 1: Ch. 2, 3 , RBT: L1, L2, L3
Module 2: Contact Hours (10):
HTML Tables and Forms, Introducing Tables, Styling Tables, Introducing Forms, Form Control Elements, Table and Form Accessibility, Microformats, Advanced CSS: Layout, Normal Flow, Positioning Elements, Floating Elements, Constructing Multicolumn Layouts, Approaches to CSS Layout, Responsive Design, CSS Frameworks.
Textbook 1: Ch. 4,5 RBT: L1, L2, L3
Module 3: Contact Hours (10)
PHP, Program Control, Functions
Textbook 1: Ch. 6, 8 , RBT: L1, L2, L3
Module 4: Contact Hours (10):
PHP Arrays and Superglobals, Arrays, $_GET and $_POST Superglobal Arrays, $_SERVER , Array, $_Files Array, Reading/Writing Files, PHP Classes and Objects, Object-Oriented Overview, Classes and Objects in PHP, Object Oriented Design, Error Handling and Validation, What are Errors and Exceptions?, PHP Error Reporting, PHP Error and
Textbook 1: Ch. 9, 10 ,RBT: L1, L2, L3
Module 5: Contact Hours (10):
MVC Frameworks, XML Processing and Web Services, XML Processing, JSON, Overview of Web Services.
Textbook 1: Ch. 13, 15,17 , RBT: L1, L2, L3
Course Outcomes: The student will be able to :
• Adapt HTML and CSS syntax and semantics to build web pages.
• Construct and visually format tables and forms using HTML and CSS
display the contents dynamically.
• Appraise the principles of object oriented development using PHP
Question Paper Pattern:
• The question paper will have ten questions.
• Each full Question consisting of 20 marks
• There will be 2 full questions (with a maximum of four sub questions) from each module.
• Each full question will have sub questions covering all the topics under a module.
• The students will have to answer 5 full questions, selecting one full question from each module.
1. Randy Connolly, Ricardo Hoar, “Fundamentals of Web Development”, 1 st Edition, Pearson Education India. (ISBN:978-9332575271)
2. Luke Welling, Laura Thomson, “PHP and MySQL Web Development”, 5 th Edition, Pearson Education, 2016. (ISBN:978-9332582736)
Mandatory Note: Distribution of CIE Marks is a follows (Total 40 Marks):
- 20 Marks through IA Tests
- 20 Marks through practical assessment Maintain a copy of the report for verification during LIC visit.
Possible list of practicals:
Parameter: A string
Output: The position in the string of the left-most vowel
Parameter: A number
Output: The number with its digits in the reverse order
5.Design an XML document to store information about a student in an engineering college affiliated to VTU. The information must include USN, Name, and Name of the College, Programme, Year of Joining, and email id. Make up sample data for 3 students. Create a CSS style sheet and use it to display the document.
6.Write a PHP program to keep track of the number of visitors visiting the web page and to display this count of visitors, with proper headings.
7.Write a PHP program to display a digital clock which displays the current time of the server.
8.Write the PHP programs to do the following:
a) Implement simple calculator operations.
b) Find the transpose of a matrix.
c) Multiplication of two matrices.
d) Addition of two matrices.
9.Write a PHP program named states.py that declares a variable states with value “Mississippi Alabama Texas Massachusetts Kansas”. Write a PHP program that does the following:
a) Search for a word in variable states that ends in xas. Store this word in element 0 of a list named states List.
b) Search for a word in states that begins with k and ends inPerform a case-insensitive comparison. [Note: Passing re.Ias a second parameter to method compile performs a case-insensitive comparison.] Store this word in element1 of states List.
c) Search for a word in states that begins with M and ends inStore this word in element 2 of the list.
d) Search for a word in states that ends inStore this word in element 3 of the list.
10.Write a PHP program to sort the student records which are stored in the database using selection sort.
For detail Syllabus of all other subjects of BE 6th Sem Computer Science & Engineering, visit : vtu.ac.in